Thursday, January 1

To leave the old with a burst of song
To recall the right and forgive the wrong;
To forget the thing that binds you fast
To the vain regrets of the year that's past;
To have the strength to let go your hold
Of the not worthwhile of the days grown old,
To dare to go forth with a purpose true,
To the unknown task of the year that's new;
To help your brother along the road
To do his work and lift his load;
To add your gift to the world's good cheer,
Is to have and to give a Happy New Year.
-Robert Brewster Beattie


here's to new begginings! cheers!

i spent new years eve in tagaytay. dad's in the states, and my bros decided they'd stay in manila, so it was just me n' mom. we crashed in the vacation house of my mom's aunt. we were a huge group. and i mean HUGE. all my mom's cousins were there (the sons and daughters of her aunt). and they had all their kids with them (my cousins). it was a riot. we ate, played billiards, ate, played video games, ate, watched movies and ate. we were constanly buggin' each other. sometimes i'd look around and i'd forget they were my cousins...it all felt like we were just a crazy bunch of friends.

we went outside 'round 11. people were already shootin' off fireworks. at midnight the view was spectacular. people started going back inside, but i stayed outside for a while by myself...just enjoying the cold crisp wind. then i joined the party - roasting hotdogs and mallows in the fireplace, and getting a bit drunk on sparkling grape juice and apple wine. all around me all i could hear was laughter...including my own. and for the first time in a long time i was able to tell myself that...life is good.


ps - credit to joanne for sending me the poem. and thanks to issa for helping me get started with this whole thing. she'll probably be the one to keep it going too - if i start slacking she'll be on my back before you can say "happynewyear!"