Monday, April 12

It should have been my hands
Where the nails were
-Sandi Patti


we visited new orleans. took a plane from DC to get there. the trip was fine, but they lost my mom's suitcase. it was recovered and sent to our hotel before it was really needed though, so it worked out.

things we did: shopped at the flea market, took a ferry ride to mardi gras HQ, went on a swamp tour to get acquainted with gators, spiders, birds, snakes, racoons, turtles, and some cool plants (did i mention alligators?), rode the oldest running cable car system through the garden district, took a walk in the huge park with the squirrels, strolled down bourbon street (home of the jazz bars), and ate really good food. and i mean really GOOD food (oh my god, steeeaaak!).

plane take-offs are such fun. there's the thrill of blasting up into the sky, then you look out the window and see people, cars, streets, buildings, the world, all grow smaller below. at night, its a different story. you cant really see anything just the city light, little gems over a blanket of darkness.

the easter vigil mass. for some reason, being in that church was the closest i've been to feeling at home ever since we left. the soft music of the organ drove me bury my face in mom's shoulder.

easter sunday. my cousins came over, along with all my titos and titas here. it was great seeing them again. they made me feel like they hadnt ever forgotten me.

but right now... i think its best... if i was forgotten.